Saturday, February 26, 2011

Double's Entendre



He sees her and steps on the gas
She swerves as he's making a pass
For Phillis and Walter
won't meet at the alter
except at their funeral mass

Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray in Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944). The risqué repartee strewn through the script is due more to director Wilder and credited screenwriter Raymond Chandler than James M. Cain's story. Here's some from the scene above: PHYLLIS: There's a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. Forty-five miles an hour. NEFF: How fast was I going, officer? PHYLLIS: I'd say about ninety. NEFF: Suppose you got down off your motorcycle and gave me a ticket. PHYLLIS: Suppose I let you off with a warning this this time. NEFF: Suppose it doesn't take. PHYLLIS: Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles. NEFF: Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder. PHYLLIS: Suppose you try putting it on my husband's shoulder. NEFF: That tears it.

Please consider making a donation to film preservation at the Film Noir Foundation.

No comments: