Friday, April 23, 2010

Red Hot and Bothered

Hey fella, don't bother to knock
It's open, I don't use a lock
In room 809
is where I recline
I'm lonely and ready to rock

Richard Widmark eyes unbalanced babysitter Marilyn Monroe in Don't Bother to Knock (Roy Baker, 1952). Photo below from DVD Beaver. Not exactly a noir, but close enough for limericks.


Norm Knott said...

My riddle begins with two knocks
"Who's there?" you reply with your vox
"Jamay", I do coo
You say, "Jamay who?"
"Jamaican because I dread locks"


D Cairns said...


Afraid it would curtail his fame,
Roy Ward Baker dropped that middle name,
This made things unclear,
And hurt his career,
Until he re-warded again.

(Fearful of being confused with a sound man with the same name, Roy Ward Baker dropped the "Ward" briefly, then reinstated it, a bit like Francis Ford Coppola.)

surly hack said...

David--Thanks for the limerick and behind-the-scenes film history.

Norm--I think it's one spliff too many.

Sorry about the earlier technical glitch and the text dropping out.

surly hack said...

P.S. --And I didn't notice until just now that "Night Without Sleep" and "Knock" were both by Baker, with and without the "Ward". Good catch, DC!